Vango Idris II Tall Driveaway Awning 2018
The Tall height version here is suitable if you have a taller van or motorhome with a connection height between 245cm and 290cm. If you have a smaller campervan it is recommended that you opt for the low height version. There is no difference in living height – it is just the tunnel height available.
Please call 07900600886 for expert free advice and other products.
Surfing, hiking, sailing, cycling, kayaking or simply just relaxing. Let the Idris be part of your adventure. This freestanding drive away awning offers a combination of convenience and space; providing a sizeable extension for living, sleeping or storage. Exclusively designed by Vango, the enclosed linked-in groundsheet system offers all the comfort of a fully sewn in groundsheet but can be detached when not in use and is easy to clean. You might want to consider buying optional bedrooms, to use your awning as a spare bedroom attached to the side of your vehicle. The front door can also be king poled out as a functional shade from the rain/sun. The Idris II Awning, in its oversized carry bag, is a great choice for campervan and motorhome owners. All Vango driveaway awnings come with a wide range of attachment mechanisms making them simple and convenient to attach to your vehicle.
Vango Idris II Tall Features
- NEW Skylight windows provide daylight and stargazing
- NEW SkyTrack II system suspends lights and storage
- NEW Orange reflective guylines with tidies
- Vango AirAway® Structure – Inflatable AirBeam® technology allows for pole free pitching and easy erection on your vehicle (double action pump included)
- Sentinel Active 70 Fabric – 70D polyester fabric combines strength and lightweight materials to provide a compact, waterproof and durable fabric
- Linked-in groundsheet – Easy to clean groundsheet that can be attached or detached from the living area
- AirSpeed® valve system and easy access positioning – Designed by Vango to inflate your AirBeams® with even less effort
- Patented Vango TBS® II Tension Band System – Ensures awning performs in adverse conditions, especially in strong, changeable winds
- Pre-attached 6mm Kador strip – The most common and easy to use connection system for awning attachment to vehicles
- Touch fastener roof bar attachment tabs – Simply wrap around vehicle roof bars for quick and easy use
- Pole & Clamp kit sleeve – Allows optional pole & clamp kit attachment, for vehicles without a kador rail yet obtain a gutter
- Bracer beams included – Designed to fit in between the awnings main AirBeams® to enhance stability in high winds
- Reflective webbing – Picks up torchlight so the pegging points are easily spotted in low light conditions
- Large windows – Provide bright and airy environment
- Diamond Clear windows – Maximise light and visibility
- Door in connecting panel – Allows convenient access
- Flat entry – Easy access for wheelchairs, prams and people with reduced mobility
- King pole doors – Integrated eyelets allow optional king poles to prop open doors, creating a canopy
- Roll away rear porch – Can be rolled away when not in use
- Fully taped seams – All flysheet and groundsheet seams are factory taped which provides a watertight seal
- Wide mouthed bag with compression straps – Allows your awning to be packed away and carried to and from the campsite easily
- Optional bedroom inner – Optional extra available to purchase separately
- Steel rock pegs and mallet included – Pegs are strong, durable and can be used on more challenging terrain
- AirBeam® Pump Included – Double action pump that will rapidly inflate your AirAway® Awning which comes complete with a pressure dial
- Cable entry point with tidies – Zipped entry point for power cable, with touch fastener tidies
- Lantern Hanging Points – Conveniently positioned to attach your light(s)
- Fire retardant fabrics – Meets European EN5912 safety standard
- Fully wind and rain tested – Weather tested to the European standard EN5912 by certified test centre
- 8m Straps included – Straps can be tensioned and rested over the vehicle, allowing the awning to attach to vehicles without kador rails
- Orange reflective guylines with tidies – High visibility lower half to prevent hazards and ensure stability in high winds
- Line-Lok guyline runners – Lock securely, simple to release and high performance in all conditions
- Skylight Windows – Windows which run along the roof line of the awning to enhance light during the day and for star gazing at night
- Low level vents – Helps circulate air within the awning and reduces condensation
- SkyTrack II® – A flexible hanging system which allows you to easily attach lighting, storage or our new SkyLiners. The SkyTrack system truly allows you to design your tent to suit your needs
- Mesh door – Side door fitted with internal mesh panel for bug free ventilation
- Over vehicle webbing straps – Can be tensioned and rested over the vehicle, allowing the awning to attach to vehicles without kador rails
|Pitching Time||8 mins|
|Packsize||L78.0 x H32.0 x W34.0cm|
|Kador Adjustable Height||245-290cm|
|Weight without Accessories||10.85kg|
HOW TO ATTACH TO YOUR VEHICLE
FIGURE OF 8 CLIPPED TO GUTTER / POLE AND CLAMP ON GUTTER
There are a few options for attaching this awning to your vehicle which depends slightly on the type of vehicle. The older vans such as the T2 and T25 with the gutter channel may use just the Figure of 8 and clip this on (depending a little on the condition of the gutter channel). This works to a certain extent but can come unclipped if it gets windy. They can also use a pole and clamp system although this is not a method I would personally recommend as I have seen one end of a pole come off before and then make a big mess of the van as the metal pole clangs against it. Some pole systems use sucker pads which are even more unreliable.
TYING OVER THE TOP
On all vehicles except those with high tops or pop tops you can tie the awning over the top with the use of the Figure of 8 and Kador Converter which is a beading with straps sewn to it. This works relatively well however can scuff the paintwork (although some pipe lagging can help). It can also make some noise as the straps tap and if the weather is coming over the top of the vehicle can flap and allow water and wind in more easily.
If you have roof rails fitted the velcro tabs fitted on the tunnel of the awning allows for attachment to the roof rails. Whilst this will hold the tunnel in position it is not the best weather proof method.
The best option by far is an awning rail. I make bespoke rails for the every vehicle. For the T5, Vito Mk2 and some others with existing bolt holes I can do a bolt on rail. For other vehicles including T2, T25, T4, T5 with pop top or high top and virtually any other vehicle I can do a one piece chamfered and shaped self fit kit which glues and screws on and comes with everything you need to fit it. These rails are a proper channel which will take the beading of the awning directly if not wishing to drive away or with the use of Figure of 8 and Double sided Kador bead you can drive away with ease whilst giving a quick, easy and the most weatherproof and secure attachment possible. This will not come off if it gets windy. I can supply Figure of 8 and Double sided Kador bead for no additional postage.
It is recommended to avoid a J rail or Magnetic Kador – they are not very effective and you will almost certainly end up buying twice!
FIAMMA OR OMNISTOR WINDOUT AWNINGS
These have a channel similar to that described above integrated within the housing cassette of the windout awning. The Fiamma one takes a 4mm beading, whilst Omnistor takes a 5mm beading. Therefore with the use of the correct Kador Bead which I can supply and Figure of 8, the windout awning can be used as an awning rail. It should be noted that because this channel is not completely flush to the van, it will pull the sides of the awning away from the van as they get higher near the windout awning. You may also have a gap behind the cassette which will still let water drip down between the van and the cassette which would be overcome if you had an awning rail mounted directly to the van, although a little gutter is also available for both of these windout awnings which will also help to alleviate this issue.
Vango Awnings are great and definitely get my personal endorsement – they were the first to revive the airbeam idea and have therefore built up valuable experience over the last few years. They also build on 50 years in the tent making industry and have a fantastic after sales service as well as a 2 year warranty, extendable to 3 years by registering online, with further support even after that where you can buy spare parts and have repairs done. This is a brand and product you can trust.