Vango Airbeam Kela III Standard Height Driveaway Awning – Latest Model
Connection Tunnel Height between 205cm and 235cm
Back in 2016, Vango has brought out three different height versions of this hugely popular awning. The living area is not a different height, it is just the tunnel for the connection to your vehicle. This Standard height one is ideally suited to the smaller vans with hightops such as the VW Campervan and equivalent sized campers, or smaller motorhomes with a connection height of between 205cm and 235cm. If you have a taller height motorhome or a non hightop VW, Mercedes Vito sized van, it is recommended that you opt for the Tall or Low height version. There is no difference in living height – it is just the tunnel height available.
Please call 07900600886 or 01939 233729 for expert free advice and other products.
The market leading Kela, which is the driving force behind Vango’s freestanding awning collection, now features a new high quality 420 double ripstop Sentinel Pro fabric. This, coupled with bracer beams and a set of storm straps, makes the Kella III a highly durable and well designed drive-away awning. With a side door on each side of the connecting section, this is an ideal area for storage and will help keep the awning and your vehicle clean and dry. Don’t fret about stormy conditions, our patented Tension Band System (TBS® II) ensures your awning will remain stable in harsh weather and for normal conditions, simply tuck it away into the dedicated pockets. The Kela III is a beautifully designed drive-away awning that will compliment your campervan or motorhome.
Vango Airbeam Kela III Low Height Driveaway Awning Features
- Sentinel Pro 420
- Fully Sewn-in Groundsheet – adds to the comfort of your tent by providing a bug and draught free environment. The groundsheet is attached to the flysheet with an external storm skirt to provide all round protection.
- Patented Vango TBS®II Tension Band System ensures tent performs in adverse conditions, especially in strong, changeable winds. When tensioned, the bands brace the pole at 3 points, and prevent sideways movement. Adjust TBS®II to remove slack. Do not over tension, as this may deform the poles. Can be stowed away in calm weather
- Optional Inner Tent – optional extra available to purchase separately
- NEW AirSpeed® Valve system and easy access positioning – designed by Vango to inflate your AirBeams with even less effort.
- The beams in a Vango AirBeam create a strong and rigid tent structure. Very easy and quick to pitch
- Factory taped seams – All flysheet and groundsheet seams are factory taped, giving a water tight seal
- Bracing beams for front and roof included
- Vango AirZone – High and low level ventilation panels combine to create a comfortable flow of air through the tent. Air circulation is essential for reducing condensation
- Lantern Hanging Points – conveniently positioned to attach your light(s)
- Webbing storm straps – Provides secure guying at the front and rear of the tent
- Cable entry point with tidies – Zipped entry point for power cable, with Velcro tidies
- Reflective guylines with guyline tidies – Woven with a reflective strip to pick up light
- Breathable polyester inner – Allows condensation to pass through, for a comfortable night’s sleep
- Zipped privacy curtains – Simple and quick to use, zip curtains allow varying levels of opening. Fit to the flysheet with no gaps and simply roll down into a pocket
- Diamond Clear windows – Maximise light and visibility.
- Adjustable pegging points
- Integrated eyelets allow optional king poles to prop open doors. Creates a canopy
- Lightweight inner tent groundsheet – Reduces weight and packsize
- Door in the connecting panel between motorhome/campervan and awning for convenience.
- Reflective webbing – Picks up torchlight so the pegging points are easily spotted in low light conditions.
- Line-Lok guyline runners – Lock securely, simple to release and high performance in all conditions
- Pre-attached 6mm Kador strip – The most common and easy to use connection system for awning attachment to vehicles and caravans
- Velcro roofbar attachment tabs – Quick and easy to use. Simply wrap around vehicle roof bars
- Flexi Door – Adjust to be fully or half open
- Fire retardant fabrics – Meets European EN5912 safety standard
- The figure of 8 allows you to attach your AirAway Awning onto your campervan/motorhome. Dimension are 6mm thick and 248cm long. Drive Away Kit sold separately.
- Adds to the comfort of your tent by providing a bug and draught free environment. The groundsheet is attached to the flysheet with an external storm skirt to provide all round protection.
- Pack Size: L78.0 x H35.0 x W37.0cm
- Weight: 17.35kg
- Awning Type: AirAway
HOW TO ATTACH TO YOUR VEHICLE
FIGURE OF 8 CLIPPED TO GUTTER / POLE AND CLAMP ON GUTTER
There are a few options for attaching this awning to your vehicle which depends slightly on the type of vehicle. The older vans such as the T2 and T25 with the gutter channel may use just the Figure of 8 and clip this on (depending a little on the condition of the gutter channel). This works to a certain extent but can come unclipped if it gets windy. They can also use a pole and clamp system although this is not a method I would personally recommend as I have seen one end of a pole come off before and then make a big mess of the van as the metal pole clangs against it. Some pole systems use sucker pads which are even more unreliable.
TYING OVER THE TOP
On all vehicles except those with high tops or pop tops you can tie the awning over the top with the use of the Figure of 8 and Kador Converter which is a beading with straps sewn to it. This works relatively well however can scuff the paintwork (although some pipe lagging can help). It can also make some noise as the straps tap and if the weather is coming over the top of the vehicle can flap and allow water and wind in more easily.
If you have roof rails fitted the velcro tabs fitted on the tunnel of the awning allows for attachment to the roof rails. Whilst this will hold the tunnel in position it is not the best weather proof method.
The best option by far is an awning rail. I make bespoke rails for the every vehicle. For the T5, Vito Mk2 and some others with existing bolt holes I can do a bolt on rail. For other vehicles including those with pop top or high top and virtually any other vehicle I can do a one piece chamfered and shaped self fit kit which glues and screws on and comes with everything you need to fit it. These rails are a proper channel which will take the beading of the awning directly if not wishing to drive away or with the use of Figure of 8 and Double sided Kador bead you can drive away with ease whilst giving a quick, easy and the most weatherproof and secure attachment possible. This will not come off if it gets windy. The Self Fit Kit Rail is £59.99 or the Bolt on one is £64.99 or modified for your roof racks £89.99 plus £16.99 postage. I can supply Figure of 8 (£4.50 each – generally need 4 pieces), Double sided Kador bead (£22.99.00 for 3m) or Kador Converter Straps (£24.99) for no additional postage.It is recommended to avoid a J rail or Magnetic Kador – they are not very effective and you will almost certainly end up buying twice!
FIAMMA OR OMNISTOR WINDOUT AWNINGS
These have a channel similar to that described above integrated within the housing cassette of the windout awning. The Fiamma one takes a 4mm beading, whilst Omnistor takes a 5mm beading. Therefore with the use of the correct Kador Bead which I can supply and Figure of 8, the windout awning can be used as an awning rail. It should be noted that because this channel is not completely flush to the van, it will pull the sides of the awning away from the van as they get higher near the windout awning. You may also have a gap behind the cassette which will still let water drip down between the van and the cassette which would be overcome if you had an awning rail mounted directly to the van, although a little gutter is also available for both of these windout awnings which will also help to alleviate this issue.
Vango Awnings are great and definitely get my personal endorsement – they were the first to revive the airbeam idea and have therefore built up valuable experience over the last few years. They also build on 50 years in the tent making industry and have a fantastic after sales service as well as a 2 year guarantee with further support even after that where you can buy spare parts and have repairs done. This is a brand and product you can trust.