Vango Airbeam Idris 2 Low Height Driveaway Awning 2016
The Low height version here is suitable for VW T1, T2, T25, T4, T5, Mercedes Vito, Renault Traffic etc height vehicles. If you have a taller van or motorhome, it is recommended that you opt for the Standard or Tall height versions. There is no difference in living height – it is just the tunnel height available.
Please call 07900600886 for expert free advice and other products.
Surfing, hiking, sailing, cycling, kayaking or simply just relaxing. Let the Idris be part of your adventure. This freestanding drive away awning offers a combination of convenience and space; providing a sizeable extension for living, sleeping or storage. Exclusively designed by Vango, the enclosed linked-in groundsheet system offers all the comfort of a fully sewn in groundsheet but can be detached when not in use and is easy to clean. You might want to consider buying optional bedrooms, to use your awning as a spare bedroom attached to the side of your vehicle. The front door can also be king poled out as a functional shade from the rain/sun. The Idris AirAway Awning, in its oversized carry bag, is a great choice for campervan and motorhome owners. All Vango driveaway awnings come with a wide range of attachment mechanisms making them simple and convenient to attach to your vehicle.
- Diamond Clear windows – Maximise light and visibility.
- Fire retardant fabrics – Meets European EN5912 safety standard
- Integrated eyelets allow optional king poles to prop open doors. Creates a canopy
- Lantern hanging points – Conveniently positioned in the living and bedroom areas
- NEW AirSpeed® Valve system and easy access positioning – designed by Vango to inflate your AirBeams with even less effort.
- Pre-attached 6mm Kador strip – The most common and easy to use connection system for awning attachment to vehicles and caravans
- The beams in a Vango AirBeam create a strong and rigid tent structure. Very easy and quick to pitch
- Vango AirZone – High and low level ventilation panels combine to create a comfortable flow of air through the tent. Air circulation is essential for reducing condensation
- Velcro roofbar attachment tabs – Quick and easy to use. Simply wrap around vehicle roof bars
- Adjustable pegging points
- Door in the connecting panel between motorhome/campervan and awning for convenience.
- Easy access doors – Easy access for wheelchairs and people with reduced mobility
- Linked-in groundsheet – All the comfort of a fully sewn in groundsheet. Easy to clean. Simply roll away when not required
- Patented Vango TBS®II Tension Band System ensures tent performs in adverse conditions, especially in strong, changeable winds. When tensioned, the bands brace the pole at 3 points, and prevent sideways movement. Adjust TBS®II to remove slack. Do not over tension, as this may deform the poles. Can be stowed away in calm weather
- Rock pegs included – Strong, durable and can be used on more challenging terrain
- Double action AirBeam pump included
- Wide mouthed bag for easy packing
- Vango Protex® 70 denier polyester flysheet, 4000mm HH – Highly waterproof, durable and reliable fabric. Exclusive to Vango
- Tested to European Standard EN5912
- Pack Size: L70.0 x H31.0 x W31.0cm
- Weight: 14.25kg
- Awning Type: AirAway
HOW TO ATTACH TO YOUR VEHICLE
FIGURE OF 8 CLIPPED TO GUTTER / POLE AND CLAMP ON GUTTER
There are a few options for attaching this awning to your vehicle which depends slightly on the type of vehicle. The older vans such as the T2 and T25 with the gutter channel may use just the Figure of 8 and clip this on (depending a little on the condition of the gutter channel). This works to a certain extent but can come unclipped if it gets windy. They can also use a pole and clamp system although this is not a method I would personally recommend as I have seen one end of a pole come off before and then make a big mess of the van as the metal pole clangs against it. Some pole systems use sucker pads which are even more unreliable.
TYING OVER THE TOP
On all vehicles except those with high tops or pop tops you can tie the awning over the top with the use of the Figure of 8 and Kador Converter which is a beading with straps sewn to it. This works relatively well however can scuff the paintwork (although some pipe lagging can help). It can also make some noise as the straps tap and if the weather is coming over the top of the vehicle can flap and allow water and wind in more easily.
If you have roof rails fitted the velcro tabs fitted on the tunnel of the awning allows for attachment to the roof rails. Whilst this will hold the tunnel in position it is not the best weather proof method.
The best option by far is an awning rail. I make bespoke rails for the every vehicle. For the T5, Vito Mk2 and some others with existing bolt holes I can do a bolt on rail. For other vehicles including T2, T25, T4, T5 with pop top or high top and virtually any other vehicle I can do a one piece chamfered and shaped self fit kit which glues and screws on and comes with everything you need to fit it. These rails are a proper channel which will take the beading of the awning directly if not wishing to drive away or with the use of Figure of 8 and Double sided Kador bead you can drive away with ease whilst giving a quick, easy and the most weatherproof and secure attachment possible. This will not come off if it gets windy. The Self Fit Kit Rail is £59.99 or the Bolt on one is £64.99 or modified for your roof racks £89.99 plus £16.99 postage. I can supply Figure of 8 (£4.50 each – generally need 4 pieces), Double sided Kador bead (£22.99.00 for 3m) or Kador Converter Straps (£24.99) for no additional postage. It is recommended to avoid a J rail or Magnetic Kador – they are not very effective and you will almost certainly end up buying twice!
FIAMMA OR OMNISTOR WINDOUT AWNINGS
These have a channel similar to that described above integrated within the housing cassette of the windout awning. The Fiamma one takes a 4mm beading, whilst Omnistor takes a 5mm beading. Therefore with the use of the correct Kador Bead which I can supply and Figure of 8, the windout awning can be used as an awning rail. It should be noted that because this channel is not completely flush to the van, it will pull the sides of the awning away from the van as they get higher near the windout awning. You may also have a gap behind the cassette which will still let water drip down between the van and the cassette which would be overcome if you had an awning rail mounted directly to the van, although a little gutter is also available for both of these windout awnings which will also help to alleviate this issue.
Vango Awnings are great and definitely get my personal endorsement – they were the first to revive the airbeam idea and have therefore built up valuable experience over the last few years. They also build on 50 years in the tent making industry and have a fantastic after sales service as well as a 2 year warranty, extendable to 3 years by registering online, with further support even after that where you can buy spare parts and have repairs done. This is a brand and product you can trust.